Travel & Tourism
Top 15 Interesting Facts About Philippines You Might Not Know
The Philippines is located on 7,107 islands in the Pacific Ocean. It is divided into three geographical regions: Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Manila is the largest city in the country which is also the capital of the Philippines.
1. The Philippines is an island country.
The Philippines is an island country present in Southeast Asia. It is bounded by the South China Sea to the west, the Philippine Sea to the east, and the Celebes Sea to the southwest.
2. The Philippines Shares maritime borders with 7 countries.
The Philippines shares maritime borders with Taiwan, Japan, Palau, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and China .
3. One of the friendliest countries.
The Philippines is one of the friendliest countries in the world.
4. The Philippines houses the most popular beaches.
Kayangan Lake is one of the most stunning and memorable beaches in the Philippines. There are popular beaches such as El Nido (Palawan), Boracay (Aklan), Puerto Galera (Oriental Mindoro), Samal Island (Davao City), Panglao Island (Bohol), Coron Island (Palawan), Palaui Island (Cagayan Valley), Pagudpud (Ilocos Norte) and so on.
5. Boracay Island is the beach capital of the Philippines.
The island of Boracay is popular for its beaches and because of this it is considered as the beach capital of the Philippines. There are more than 12 beaches present.
6. Jeepneys are a popular public utility vehicle in the Philippines.
Public transport in the Philippines includes buses, jeepneys, UV Express, TNVS, Filcab, taxis, and tricycles. Out of these Jeepneys are the iconic vehicles for everyday public transport. Jeepneys a.k.a. jeeps are minibus-like public utility vehicles.
7. Filipino & English are the two official languages of the Philippines.
Filipino is the national language of the Philippines. It’s an Austronesian language. The Philippines has two national languages: Filipino and English. The wide usage of English shows the external influence on the local culture. Other recognized languages are Spanish & Arabic.
8. Filipino Sign Language (FSL) is a sign language originating in the Philippines.
Filipino Sign Language (FSL) or Philippine Sign Language, is a sign language originating in the Philippines. Like other sign languages, FSL is a unique language with its own grammar, syntax and morphology; it is neither based on nor resembles Filipino or English.
9. The Philippines is a secular state.
The Philippines is a secular state which protects freedom of religion. Christianity is the dominant faith, shared by about 89% of the population. As per 2015 census, Islam is the second largest religion with 6.01% of the total population.
10. Is the Philippines famous for?
The Philippines is popular for the beautiful beaches and sweet fruits.
11. Twelfth most populous country.
The Philippines is the 12th most populous country in the world.
12. The Philippines is a constitutional republic with a presidential system of government.
The Philippines is a constitutional republic with a presidential system of government, administered as a unitary state. The President serves as the head of state and head of government as well as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.
13. India & Philippines have good relations in the defense sector.
India & Philippines have good relations in terms of sharing defense technology. India has signed a defense contract worth $375 million with the Philippine Navy for the sale of BrahMos supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles.
14. Interesting references you can follow to learn more about the Philippines.
- 10 Things to Know About the Philippines.
- 13 Reasons Why You Should Travel to The Philippines Now
- Filipino Culture / Core Concepts
- What Foreigners Think about The Philippines Culture: Prejudice and Stereotyping - 2HotTravellers
- 10 Best Places To Live In The Philippines - Updated 2022 | Trip101
- To learn more about this amazing country you can follow these official websites of the Philippines: https://www.gov.ph/, House of Representatives.
15. There are so many regional languages present in the Philippines.
Apart from its official languages, Filipino and English, there are other regional languages present such as Aklan, Bikol, Cebuano, Chavacano, Hiligaynon, Ibanag, Ilocano, Ivatan and so on.
The Philippines is really an amazing country and you should definitely consider putting it on your bucket list. Thanks for reading this article. Please share it with your connections and let them know about this interesting country of islands.