- Linux OS is an open source operating system based on the Linux kernel.
- Linux Kernel was first developed and released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds.
- Linux Kernel was developed by Finnish-American software engineer Linus Torvalds. Also, did you know the distributed version control system Git was also developed by Linus Torvalds? On 3rd of April 2005 Torvalds began development on Git. Git is one of the most popular version control software systems.
- Linux is packaged in Linux distribution. Linux distribution is an operating system made up of the Linux kernel and a package management system.
- Generally, a Linux distribution consists of a Linux kernel, GNU tools and libraries, additional software, documentation and a lot of necessary goodies.
- Most of the softwares included in Linux distributions are free and open-source.
- Linux has commercial as well as community driven distributions.
- Linux has community-driven distributions, such as Debian, Slackware, Gentoo and Arch Linux.
- Linux has commercially supported distributions such as Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu and so on.
- Initially, the Linux operating system kernel was released on September 17, 1991.
Did You Know These Top 10 Interesting Facts About Linux?
Linux Kernel was developed by Finnish-American software engineer Linus Torvalds. Also, did you know the distributed version control system Git was also developed by Linus Torvalds?